Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Our River House Fixer Upper - Week 13 - Part 1

We have a working bathroom!  The tile work is complete and it looks great.  Am so pleased.  


Almost done



Grouting complete



Captain Man sealed the grout that evening and the next day he installed the sink and toilet.  And it works!!! I am so excited...a working bathroom after 3 months.   


Our guest bathroom



We still have to hang the mirror, get some shelving, install the outlet covers and a few other minor things, but it is almost done!!! 




Ceiling fan being installed



The master bedroom also has a new ceiling fan (a must have for me) and although rather ornate, it blends in well with the craftsman style of the house.


Our working fan



I have completed the scraping of trim in the master bedroom.  A major accomplishment on my part.   This room has two large windows side by side measuring over 7 feet across, plus a small 15 pane window in the corner.  Then a fireplace mantel and base board trim.  This house also has picture rail trim close to the ceiling.  It is a piece of molding that is attached to the wall, usually aligning with the tops of windows.  This type of molding was used to hang artwork on hard to penetrate plaster walls.  It was popular in New England and in southern homes during the Victorian Era.  You can sort of see it in the pic above.  


Scraping along



Moving along to the mantel



Working on the other side of the mantel



You can note what appears to be cigarette burn marks on the mantel.  The mantel had several coats of paint, one of which was PINK.  Yep, the mantel was once painted pink.  Once I scraped off the many layers, I saw lots of these burn marks along the edge.  While I was scraping, I was imagining what the history of this house must be, and envisioning the man of the house coming home from work and having his cigar or cigarette while staring into the fire, with a shot of whiskey or brandy and contemplating his day.  Maybe placing his cigar or cigarette on the mantel and forgetting about it, thus leaving these burn marks in the wood...  I know, too many paint chips... starting to affect my brain. (Yes I am wearing a mask.)




Scraping done and one coat of primer



I have a coat of primer on all trim and on my next day off, I should be able to get a couple of coats of trim paint on, and this room will be ready for a serious cleaning and maybe some furniture?  Captain Man and I need to go shopping.  😉

The sheet rock guys are done.  We were so glad to say goodbye to them...you were great guys, but we are happy to get you out of here!  Means some stuff can get finished!

Until next time...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment