Monday, February 26, 2018

Our River House Fixer Upper - Week 45 Part 2

I used my day off yesterday to re-do a piece of furniture.   We got this dresser last spring when we needed something for the captain's clothes.  Wasn't very attractive, but solid wood and reasonably priced.  Now the captain has a really nice dresser (got about a week ago and it is NICE!!), so we had to do something with this one.





See...not very attractive, but functional.   At first, we thought about placing it upstairs, but then I thought why not keep it downstairs in the hallway and use it for storing linens.  We talked it over and decided if I could transform it then we would  use the dresser downstairs.  

So I spent yesterday making it look a little better.  

I started by sanding the entire piece.  Have I mentioned before that I hate sanding?












After wiping off all of the dust, I covered it with two coats of Kilz primer.













It was such a pretty day, it did not take long to dry between coats.  While drying, I went to Lowes in search of a pretty color to go on the dresser.  I opted for Onion Peel.  Food colors speak to me 😉  I painted another two coats of satin latex in my picked color.  Only bought a quart and I have over half of can left to use for something else.


While waiting for that to dry, I enjoyed watching an eagle flying around overhead.  Tried to capture him in a good pic, but he was not cooperating with me.  This was the best I could get of him flying really close in our backyard.











We had these pretty glass drawer pulls that were included as a extra set with the captain's really nice dresser.   Decided they would work nicely on this dresser. 







Only had eight of these, and I needed ten.  So while at Lowe's, I picked up two different glass drawer pulls out of the mark down bin, for $2 each.  


Added the drawer pulls and then went to work on distressing the dresser.  I have never done this before and did not want it too distressed, just a little bit.  











And this is how it turned out.





Before pic...





After pic...





Not to bad for a leftover dresser and a day of re-do.  Now we have extra storage in our hallway.





Until next time...


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment