Saturday, November 18, 2017

Our River House Fixer Upper - Week 31

It is week 31!  Amazing.  Almost time for Thanksgiving, with Christmas next month.  I wanted our house to be completed before the holidays, but that does not seem to be in the cards for us.  But that is okay!  We are so blessed and I have nothing to complain about.  

We are slowing down some with the house.  That is a good thing.  Means we are close to getting the list checked off.  And we are taking time to spend with family and friends.  That's a really good thing!  

Last weekend, we had our special friends from Charleston over for a few days.  We always have a great time together and we always agree we need to see each other more often.  We are planning a special trip together next October.  Can't wait for that!!!!

In between having fun, I did get another job checked off the list, well almost.  The living room has one coat of paint.  Need at least one more, maybe two.  Will see.  The fireplace mantle is done...and this is my favorite mantle of the three in this house. 

This is how it looked when we bought the house.





Don't you just love the wall paper!





The messy job of getting rid of many layers of paint! 






Weeks and weeks of scraping...(amidst other jobs throughout the house)


 








 Finally, a layer of primer.






 Then a coat of latex.






And a second coat.

And it is done.






It really needs one more coat, but I could not wait to share it with you.  I love the craftsman style and this fireplace is a great example of what it should be.  The tile is the original subway tile, some pieces are cracked, but I am okay with that.  The mirror is the original beveled glass mirror that shows some corrosion bleeding through and I am okay with that too.  Such charm and character and I LOVE IT!!!

It has taken me some time to get it to this point.  Although I haven't spent every spare minute working on this mantle, it has taken a few months.  But so worth it!!! 

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving, filled with love, family, friends and joy!

Until next time...

ENJOY your blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment